Mix Archive (Sleepy Time): Aural Epidural (2007)

machv 4 October, 2008 13

islaIn the summer of 2007 I was approached by Bev and Pete (a.k.a MrsPirate and PiratePete) to provide a mix to accompany the birth of their first child, Isla. Initially I was thrown into a panic; having never attended a birth before (apart from my own, of course) I had no idea what they would want to hear during that incredibly emotional time; I knew it had to be long as first births have a reputation for being drawn out affairs and I knew I didn’t want to stick to a tempo as, after a while that would just get annoying. They’d given me a free reign on music selection, trusting me implicitly so it was all up to me. So, I decided to put something together that would try and calm, relax, entertain, but also not try dominate the proceedings. I didn’t want to have too much vocal stuff in there as I presumed there would be enough chatter/instruction/shouting/swearing going on without my mix adding to it. As fate would have it, due to the frenetic nature of a birth and some technical problems it wasn’t used but has gone to keep Isla (and Bev and Pete) music entertained.

Personally I use it, after a very good and heavy night, to drift off to sleep to ;)

Jump to the mix

13 Comments »

1. miko-la 4 October, 2008 at 2:42 pm -

Trust me, it really is great. It’s one of Mach V’s best mixes IMO.

2. Piratepete 4 October, 2008 at 5:49 pm -

Its a great mix and although not used at Islas birth (along with all the essential oils, and other paraphernalia) it finds its way onto the stereo regularly.

PS nice blog Mach :)

3. bongo 4 October, 2008 at 7:25 pm -

liking the site marky :) and looking forward to downloading these mixes that have passed me by. nice one :D

4. m:cast 4 October, 2008 at 10:45 pm -

loving this mix… :)

5. roguetrooper 5 October, 2008 at 8:33 am -

I remember doing a similar thing for our lass for when Alex was born 6 years ago. Typically for me, when the time came to go to the hospital, I couldn’t find the damn disc and grabbed Far from the Maddening Crowd instead which proved to be a perfect substitute.

Excellent stuff Mach :)

6. wee papa girl rapper 5 October, 2008 at 9:09 am -

what a lovely idea! would love to listen to it – am I missing something though – can’t see a link to download it?…

7. wee papa girl rapper 5 October, 2008 at 9:10 am -

doh. it’s in the mix archive. ignore me! x

8. machv 5 October, 2008 at 9:37 am -

Kath, go over to the “mix archive” tab and you’ll find it there with the track listing.

this is the link to the mix archive : http://machv.co.uk/?page_id=10

9. Mrs Pirate 6 October, 2008 at 6:58 pm -

This mix means so much to me, I was delighted when Marky agreed to do it for me, I know it was a tall order and a difficult challenge for him but he came through with gold stars on! It’s fabulous. I listened to it many times in my late pregnancy and Isla now adores it as well. I wonder if she heard it the womb and some how recognises it. Thank you Marky it will always be treasured.

10. Joachim Quintus 15 October, 2008 at 1:45 pm -

When my daughter was born, shortly before her actual arrival, I started up “Mingus Ah Um” and “Goodbye Porkpie Hat” was playing as she made her appearance. Her mom and I remember, but she does not. Whenever we hear that album we all smile. I’m sure your mix will have similar memories for the happy family. Going to download it now …

11. machv 15 October, 2008 at 6:07 pm -

thanks for all the kind words. I think i need to make more birth inspired ambientish mixes. :)

12. Piratepete 15 October, 2008 at 7:44 pm -

Sounds like a niche to me Mark

13. machv 22 October, 2008 at 8:11 pm -

roll up you pregnant ladies and let me play you some tunes. :)

Leave A Response »